Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hydronephrosis

The past day has been challenging...  Some background info:  While I was pregnant with C, I had placenta previa.  Due to my condition, I was on bedrest and I had many more ultrasounds than most women.  In the course of my ultrasounds they found out that C had quite a bit of fluid in his kidneys. This ultimately may have saved his life.  During a routine ultrasound at 37 weeks 6 days, my doctor saw that I had no amniotic fluid left and that C was shrinking.  I was induced, and when he could not handle the contractions, had an emergency c-section.

We have had multiple ultrasounds since he was born and have had other tests done on his kidneys.  The right kidney has 1st to 2nd degree reflux.  The left has not really shown much, just a mild reflux. He has been on antibiotics since he was one month old to prevent infection of his kidneys.

Fast forward to yesterday, I had to take C to the nephrologist for a routine ultrasound and checkup.  He has been fine, but I did notice that his urine has been smelling like the antibiotics, so I called a little early to schedule his appointment (it was supposed to be at the end of the month).  When they did the ultrasound, my boy was smiling and happy.  He was so cooperative and I was so proud of him!  The doctor came into the room and she told us that his LEFT kidney has 4th degree reflux and is full of fluid.  She showed me the ultrasound image and it was very obvious.  She is concerned because his left kidney has always been the "good" kidney.  Now we have to have some renal function tests next week to rule out an obstruction or a kink in his ureter.  She said that the test will involve him having an IV and being given lasix.  He will need to be catheterized.

My poor baby!  I am so nervous that something is wrong and that he will need to have surgery...  My poor guy had been fighting since the day he was conceived and should have an easy life after all of this. I know that it could be much worse, and there are kids who have worse problems so I thank G-d that he has only "minor" issues... Right now he is sleeping and I can hear him moaning in his sleep.  I wonder if he is feeling any pain or discomfort.  The doctor said that he is not in pain, but how does she know?  He does look happy, though...

After our visit, I had called a woman who lives downstairs in our building.  She does Healing Touch at a local hospital.  I asked her to see if she can do her "magic" on C. She came up and it was pretty cool how she moved her hands in the areas around him... He started cooing and laughing like he was being touched.  She told me that she felt some irritation on his left side and some tense energy in his abdomen.  I had not told her about the kidney or his reflux/gas issues.  She said that she opened his pathways and that he has good energy which is flowing well now.  She showed me a way to move my hands on his ody to help him relax for sleep.  Wouldn't you know that he slept much better last night?

I guess the next week or so will be a bit trying.  My husband is very nervous and is all worse case scenario.  I have to try to stay positive and keep my spirits high. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. I'll be praying for you and your LO as you go through this. Praying that whatever is going on with his kidneys resolves itself and goes away so that he can lead a normal, healthy life.

    ReplyDelete